If you want to cut to the chase: don't use Site5.
On no account use Site5.
I have used Site5 for years and years. I've just checked and it was 2007 that I started my first hosting plan with them. In all those years between then and now, I never had any complaints about service. However, my recent experiences are very different.
They recently implemented a backstage upgrade. I received an email from them saying:
Congratulations! You have been selected to be upgraded to the new Backstage platform.
Lucky me, you're probably thinking. But don't. They also warned:
Please be aware, there is a scenario where invoices from old services will import. In rare instances this can result in service interruption.
Such a harmless little sentence, it seems. Yes, invoices from old services did import, and I was sent an invoice for a service I had previously cancelled. If only my problems were restricted to this one. After opening a support ticket for this erroneous invoice, Site5 support suggested that I go into my backstage control panel and cancel this old service, that I no longer needed, so I did. However, while I was there, I noticed that the hosting account I was actually using was now labelled as "terminated"! I immediately checked all websites that were hosted on this plan and they were all down!
I added a follow up entry to my ticket, letting Site5 know that my sites were down. No response. All in all, I contacted them on these dates:
- 7/11/2016 - I opened the initial support ticket, to which I received the suggestion to cancel my old service.
- 8/11/2016 - I informed Site5 that my hosting plan was terminated. No response.
- 8/11/2016 - I sent another email requesting confirmation that my plan really was terminated. No response.
- 8/11/2016 - I sent another email saying that I couldn't access the control panel for any of my domains. No response.
- 9/11/2016 - I requested a response, any response! No response.
- 11/11/2016 - More requests from me for a response and reiteration of the dire fact that all my sites are down and that I get no fucking response to anything I say. No response.
- 11/11/2016 - I sent a formal complaint to email@example.com, telling them exactly what I thought of their (lack of) service. No response.
- 13/11/2016 - I reiterated the situation: sites down, no access to domain control panels so I can't even host them elsewhere, and no fucking response from them. I also let them know I would be recording my experiences here. No response.
- 13/11/2016 - More pestering from me. I don't want them to assume I'm happy because I've gone quite. No response.
- 14/11/2016 - I let them know I have made a complaint to ICANN. I doubt that it will achieve anything, I'm just trying to get. Some. Kind. Of. Response. No response.
Web hosts are fine when things are working. When things aren't working, the mark of a good web host is how they deal with problems. Site5's way of dealing with problems seems to be to ignore them. And my problems are a little on the dire side, I think you will agree. All sites down. All domains owned by me have vanished, so I can't point them to any other hosting. I'm fucked, I can't do anything.
The site you are currently visiting is hosted by Fatcow, fortunately, don't worry.